Thursday, November 10, 2011

Paper Piecing...Gotta Love It!

Hello once again! I {{{LOVE}}} paper piecing! I'm not much of a "technique" type of stamping gal, but paper piecing appeals and makes sooo much sense to me! Paper piecing can really pull together an image and background, plus, for those of you who do not enjoy coloring, it eliminates one less item to do so!

This design is perfect for paper piecing...there is an amount of open space (bib overalls) ready to be pieced. You can paper piece any size item within an image, but the larger the better for these aging eyes!

Once you have paper pieced a portion of your image, don't be afraid to add some detail to it...as you can see here, I've added some smudges for dirty knees, bottom, and elbows. You can also add a bit of shading, such as along the seam of the overalls.

I've also paper pieced two border strips, mounted to the background beneath the image. I really like the "quilted" feel it gives to the design.

The image used for today's design is MFT's Pure Innocence "Tree Swing" (retired? I couldn't find it to link it...). The cute designer paper shown is October Afternoon's "Seaside," (marked down!) from The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store...May Art's Burlap String, also from Stamp Simply; and Foof a La buttons from my stash.

Here's another paper pieced piece:


As you can see, I paper pieced the school gal's sweater and also pieced the hand trimmed apple into the background design.

Products: MFT Pure Innocence stamp; October Afternoon Report Card designer paper (no longer available, but can be substituted with a more muted colored Graphic 45 "An ABC Primer.")

Why don't you try paper piecing in your next design? Hope you do!

Have a great day!

6 comments:

kathy s said...

these cards are so sweet

Playing with Paper said...

Cute cards!! I love PI :)

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

These are SO darling -- you always do such sweet things with your paper piecing!

Luanne said...

These are just delightful! Love the paper choices. I love to paper piece too!

irishgalkelly said...

Hi Deb! These are wonderful! Love your "dirt" you added. Never thought to add to paper piecing and I love it!! You are so clever!

Carla S. said...

Wonderful cards, Deb! Love the papers and the adorable images! Great paper-piecing!