Saturday, March 2, 2013

Seam Binding Ribbon Tutorial and JustRite

Hello!

My apologies if you are getting tired of seeing the seam binding bows that I have been making lately, but I have had a couple of requests to present a tutorial on making them...plus, I really love the shabby appeal that they give my designs!

Let's begin with the finished product:



I began with JustRite's new "Butterfly Dream Stamp Set," stamping the image onto creamy cardstock with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I overstamped the image with JustRite's Shabby Music Background stamp and Tim Holtz Antique Linen ink (Sharon has a HUGE number of background stamps marked down!). The image was colored with Copic Sketch Markers.

After coloring, I die cut the image panel with Spellbinder Classic Oval dies.

I used Prima SunKiss decorator paper once again...although the 6X6" pad is no longer available, the gorgeous Sun Kiss A4 Paper Stack is still in stock. Little extras: Prima Sun Kiss Wood Ticket , Cluny 1" Lace, and a Prima blossom (similar HERE: a bit brighter).

Here's the very simple tutorial using Seam Binding Ribbon and a Bow Easy:


I have been using two or three colors to make up the bow. Cut three pieces of ribbon about 18-20 inches long, then layer them onto each other.






Begin making a bow with the layered seam binding, but do not tie off the center of the bow as you usually would with the Bow Easy. I like to leave long tails on each side to add that "shabby" touch.






Cut another single piece of ribbon (I used the blue here) and tightly tie off the center of the ribbon with the single piece. You now have a bow with four tails on each side, including the single piece tying off the bow.







Remove the bow from the Bow Easy, soak it under the water faucet, squeeze the water out in your hand, then squeeze it in a towel. It will look very sad at this point!







Arrange the bow, play with it a bit so that it dries looking somewhat like an octopus. Once dried, you can trim the ends of the tails into angles, and you are done! I typically glue the bow onto my design with a hot glue gun, and if I want the bow splayed out a bit on my design, I used little pieces of glue dots to tame the tails into position. I also like adding a big of bling to the center of the bow.

Sharon also has made up a gorgeous Sun Kiss Seam Binding Ribbon Sampler...check it out!

All product linked today is from The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.


Thanks so much for stopping by today!




13 comments:

Sharon Johnson said...

LOVE this card and LOVE your tutorial. HOW EASY IS THIS! I am going to try one real soon!!! Thanks so much!!!

Paper Profusion said...

Thank-you for great tutorial Deborah - I will try this out. Beautiful card too as ever! Nicola

Helena (Gvendalen) said...

So pretty card! Thank you for the tutorial. hugs, Helena

Barbara said...

Gorgeous, Deb!! I'm going to try that seam binding trick! Thanks for the tutorial!

JoAnn (sarahzoe) said...

Great tutorial. I'm going to try this today.

Renee V said...

I know this is a silly question, but does the water part make the seam binding wrinkly? Thank you for the tutorial :)

Carole said...

So soft and elegant. I always enjoy seeing your work.

Deborah Saaranen said...

Yes Renee...I purposely wet the seam binding to make it more wrinkly...wanting to get a "shabbier" look!

Charlotte Ann said...

Ohhhh! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I LOVE your bows, and appreciate you taking the time to share how you get such beautiful results.

Barb P. said...

Never tire of the bows, and your cards are always gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial; my bows should turn out now.

Unknown said...

Wowzers! We'd love for you to try out at our new design team: Sister Act Card Challenge

debbie said...

Go for it , Deb!! Thanks so much for the tutorial! Can;t wait to try it out.

Juanita B said...

You are so talented!! I LOVE your tutorial. I'm one of those people that would never think of wetting new ribbon and then squeezing it, LOL. TFS and taking me out of the box.