Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Metallic Monochromatic Laurel and Bee

I had fun playing with textures on today's design. I'm a bit disappointed with my photography skills as these photos do not really capture the subtle sheen and delicate coloration accurately. 

Let me tell you all about it...


First up: Using Tim Holtz' "Flourishes" stencil and Studio 490 White Embossing Paste, I covered the entire panel intended as the top of the card. After the paste dried, I used Dina Wakley Media Gesso to brush over the panel lightly. After drying once again, I dabbed on Deco Art Metallic Lustre wax finish in Champagne Ice and rubbed it into random areas of the panel using my finger.  Following that, I used Tim Holtz Distress inks in Antique Linen, Tea Dye, and Mustard Seed very lightly over additional areas. 

Next up: Using a Spellbinder's Die D-Lites "Laurel and Bee,"
I die cut the bee out of cream cardstock and also from vellum. I colored the bee with my copic markers...not exactly knowing at that point where I was heading with this design (you cannot really see the coloring at the finish of the design). I layered the vellum bee over the cardstock bee, gluing the body, but not the wings. I bent the wings up slightly, as though the bee is in flight.

The bee is framed by Spellbinder Classic Oval die cut into the embossed panel and is sitting upon some Dritz Cheesecloth, dyed by some of the Tim Holtz Distress inks.

I die cut the laurel out of kraft cardstock, then dry brushed it with the gesso, trying not to cover the entire garland, leaving a bit of kraft to show through.

The base of the design is kraft cardstock. I once again used Dina Wakley Media Gesso to cover the kraft using a dry brush. I cross hatched the gesso, brushing in different directions. After the gesso dried on both the card base and laurel, I used my finger to apply DecoArt Metallic Lustre Champagne Ice wax finish over it. 

Both the laurel and main panel were adhered to the card base using Thermoweb 3D Foam Strip pieces for dimension.

I watered down some of the gesso and brushed it over some of the design to neutralize some of the color; also spattered it on the entire design for additional distressing.



A Melissa Frances Tan and Brown Pearl adds the final accent. You can see a bit of the sheen on the laurel here...

And some of the sheen here: 




I realize that it seems like a lot of steps; most time was spent for drying, and even that went pretty quickly. Fun to get your fingers dirty once and awhile!


All linked supplies are from The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.

Thanks for stopping by today! I hope that you enjoyed this design!

1 comment:

Cynthia Daugherty said...

The effort and products you used was worth it to make such a beautiful card!