Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Mixed Media Tag

I have always been interested in mixed media art, although never really taken the plunge to "get into" it. I met a wonderful friend while overseas and she taught a few classes in mixed media for our group and was quite the inspiration!

My friend is currently at our location here in the U.S. and we have had a chance to get together a couple of times. We spent quality craft time making flowers this past week and I wanted to make a
tag using the flowers and some of the mixed media 
tips she taught in the past class.


Like last week's post, the flowers were once again made out of coffee filters and Spellbinder's "Cinch and Go Flowers" die set. 

After die cutting the coffee filter flowers, I watercolor painted them with Lyra watercolor crayons from my stash. After the petals dried, I used a stylus and pressed the center of the petal/bloom layer to get them to curl up slightly. 

I threaded each layer onto White Glitter Stamens by Marion Smith Designs. The glittered stamens do not show up very well in the picture, but they add a nice touch to the design, matching the glittered butterfly.  A dab of Tombow Mono Multi Glue near the stamen under each layer helps hold the petal/bloom in place. 

The completed blooms are layered over a green swirl die cut from the Cinch and Go die set, as well as some May Art's olive Satin String Leaves.



 Now, to the background of the tag! I began by covering the entire base of the tag with a piece of cream,  flourish printed, embossed Kaisercraft Botanica paper. You can just see it peeking out on the left side of the tag, although it is no longer cream colored--see explanation below.

Wanting texture, I pulled out a Tim Holtz' stencil, and Studio 490 White Embossing Paste. I covered most of the right side of the tag with the dots; after the paste dried I covered it with Dina Wakely Media Gesso, trying to be careful not to cover any of the embossed flourish designer paper print. 

When the gesso dried, I once again used the same watercolor as the flowers and brushed it over the entire tag surface, wiping off any excess. The watercolor deposited color both on the gesso and un-embossed sections of the designer paper. Fun and makes for an easy way to custom color your work! 

A bit of Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Walnut Stain adds color to the edge of the tag.




A border of Venise "Lucia" Lace is also layered beneath the flowers, peeking out in places. The butterfly accent was cut from the Kaisercraft Botanica pad with Spellbinder's Die D Lite die in "Flutters." I also watercolored it to achieve the color I wanted, then covered it in ultra fine translucent Stampendous Crystal Glitter.

A seam binding bow (using an Original Bow Easy) completes this tag. 


All linked supplies are from The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.

Thanks so much for stopping by today; 
have a great remainder to your week!

1 comment:

Jerri Jimenez said...

An absolutely stunning tag Deb, so beautiful!