Friday, April 9, 2021

Copper Masculine Birthday Card

 Hello, and welcome! I've created a birthday card for my son featuring Stamp Simply's "Upper Peninsula of Michigan die" and "All Occasions 2" stamp set, plus a Tim Holtz Texture Fade embossing folder. 

We live in an area in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that is called "The Copper Country." There were numerous copper mines in our area in the past--all closed now--but a National Park was formed to celebrate the copper mining history. Keweenaw National Park information can be found HERE.


Our son lives far from home now, so a card that hearkens back to copper mining history will be appreciated and make him think of home.

I began the card by inking up Ranger Watercolor paper with layers of Tim Holtz Distress and Distress Oxide inks. Colors used: Tea Dye, Walnut Stain, Frayed Burlap, Rusty Hinge, and Hickory Smoke. While the paper was still damp, I ran it through my Spellbinders Platinum machine in Tim Holtz' "Mechanics" Texture Fade 3D embossing folder. Love the texture you can achieve using the Texture Fade folders! After the background dried, I rubbed a bit of Deco Art Metallic Lustre wax onto some of the gear edges. The panel is mounted on a base of Tim Holtz Color Coredinations cardstock.


The Upper Peninsula die was cut out of Copper Metallic cardstock once, and black cardstock three times. All layers were glued together with Tombow Mono Multi Liquid glue, and the copper layer was distressed with more of the Deco Art wax to tone down the shiny appearance of the cardstock.


The sentiment from Stamp Simply's "All Occasion Sentiments 2" stamp set was stamped onto more of the distress inked paper using Versafine Onyx Black ink. It was die cut with a Stamp Simply "Fishtail Banner Sentiment die." Scor-Tape was used throughout the design.

I really like how this turned out--especially that inky, grundgy backdrop. It's fairly flat for mailing.

All linked supplies are from The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.

Thanks so much for stopping by and have a great weekend!


4 comments:

Marsha said...

I love this to pieces!! I have to go back & read it now-lol. I love copper country. Dad lived in Rudyard at one time-his parents were from Vaasa. If I can't find the UP stamp, I will make one. Funny, living in Clarkston (troll) we have 5 church members from Dollar Bay HS. It says my email is justa, that my hubs. deercamp94@aol.com is mine. Marsha

Deb S said...

Thanks so much, Marsha! How interesting to hear your ties to the U.P. I really love making cards with the UP die, Stamp Simply also has a Lower Peninsula of Michigan die too. I hope that you get a chance to visit the YOOP occasionally! Thanks again!

Traci S. said...

What a cool and different style card from back when I first met you. The first card I believe I saw was yours was a 3 layer card in a light pink color. What a difference! Love this! I'm going to use these products on my bg like yours!

His, Traci

Deb S said...

Thanks, Traci! Yes, pretty amazing how our tastes and designs change from year to year. I think I know exactly what card you are talking about! Thanks for sticking with me!